Monday, November 14, 2016

Blessed Learning

Later this month, I will begin one of three high school leadership programs I am leading in and around Jerusalem. Through these programs, I will be able to promote invaluable knowledge and skills in communication, conflict resolution, and leadership development to more teens across many different backgrounds and parts of Israeli and Palestinian society. This responsibility is a humble blessing which I am grateful God has entrusted to me.

Speaking with students at the Sts. Tarkmanchatz School about Jerusalem Peacebuilders 
and the leadership program

My ministry here affirms my belief that we are all teachers, sharing knowledge, wisdom and truth about God’s promise and love with others as time passes. I also believe we remain pupils, having never finished our learning but continuously growing from our encounters with each other, God and his well-beloved son Jesus Christ. I am reminded of Jesus’ teaching to his disciples: 

“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

Jesus invites us to come as we are: meek, imperfect, incomplete, and with all our worldly concerns, and learn to follow him. He promises us rest and acceptance, which I equate as a form of grace. In walking with Christ, we begin to realize our true selves and see the glorious power of God’s unchanging truth. God entrusts us with this sacred responsibility in the hope that we remain vigilant and steadfast in living out our Baptismal covenant and commitment to each other.


In a world filled with violence and suffering, and after a divisive US presidential race, I pray that we all continue to teach, learn from, and understand those who are different from us, walking with Christ as witnesses and disciples of God’s mercy, peace, justice, and love. It is this blessed learning which upholds and nourishes me each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment