Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Get Out and VOTE!

Dear friends,


Today, after serving at my local soup kitchen (I’ll write about this in my next entry), I headed over to the Town Clerk’s Office in Brattleboro, VT to cast my early vote for the 2016 November General Election.



As I grow as an adult, deepening my understanding of the world and my identity as a Christian, I have formed strong convictions and moral values. Developed through personal experience, these beliefs and tenets inform my views on current affairs both nationally and globally. With only a few days remaining before I depart for the Holy Land, I am glad that I checked getting to vote off my lengthy to-do list.



Witnessing the polarization and partisanship of U.S. politics has always been troubling for me. Not to mention the ongoing violence and social strife that is gripping our country around issues of racial and economic justice. Positive peace seems distant in the short-term. But my hope never tires in trusting the light of human progress.



As a citizen of this country and a practicing Episcopalian, it is my duty to engage in the political process, through voting, advocacy, and social action. Ignorance, isolation, and disengagement are not acceptable options for someone who wants to follow in the footsteps of Christ. Jesus said “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will save it.” Luke 9:23-24



As Christ bearers, we are called to participate in the political process by showing the power of God’s love and promise of reconciliation as witnessed by Jesus Christ’s life, death, and resurrection. We must take action; we must participate in exercising these sacred rights and freedoms enshrined in our democratic system. How you choose to use this power is your choice, but using it, in and of itself, is an expression of God’s reconciling love in the world.



Without giving into temptation, I encourage you to get out and vote this November. If you haven’t registered yet, now is the time. There are several ways to register online that a simple web search can display. For instance, check out www.headcount.org or check with your state or local government offices. Voting is one of the ways that we can actively participate in shaping the direction of this country. Please vote!



In Christ,
Jack Karn

No comments:

Post a Comment